Grand Rapids East, Michigan Data Center & Colocation
The 40,000 square foot Grand Rapids East Data Center enables companies throughout the region to take advantage of geographic diversity and lower latency to their colocated equipment and cloud services.
Purpose-built for data center operations, Grand Rapids East meets and/or exceeds relevant ANSI/TIA-942-A and the Tier 3 industry standards for data center construction and security operations. All critical components are redundant, and multiple distribution paths help eliminate potential service outages due to maintenance, repair or replacement of equipment.
In addition to colocation space for cages, cabinets or racks, Grand Rapids East offers a wide array of customizable cloud solutions; advanced data protection services; and several connectivity options. US Signal also performs Professional services that include data center and cloud migrations to help customers implement offsite cloud and colocation solutions.
Leverage the Cloud Pod
Take advantage of the Grand Rapids East data center’s VMWare-based cloud pod to run your workloads in the cloud and enjoy high availability, low latency and high-level security. Leverage private Layer 2 connections to US Signal Cloud resources — including US Signal’s HIPAA- and PCI DSS-compliant -hosted private cloud and public cloud resource pools.
You can also use US Signal’s Virtual Cloud Connect to establish layer 3 connectivity to directly connect to hyperscale providers, such as AWS, Google, and Azure. Plus, Grand Rapid East’s cloud pod can help you optimize resource utilization (active/active deployment), get support for roaming and home desktops, and access extensive geo-diverse data protection solutions.
Ready for a Tour?
See our purpose-built data center with over 40,000 square feet for data storage.
- N+1 data center architecture
- Two 2000 amp, three-phase 480V transfer switches; one 800 amp three-phase 480V transfer switch
- Two 1.5 MW Cummins diesel generators; one Cummins 450kW diesel generator
- Two APC Symmetra MW 1400kW UPS with battery backup; one APC Symmetra PX 500kW UPS with battery backup
- DC power with battery backup available
- 252 tons of cooling via Liebert DX and DSE cooling systems
- 24-inch raised floor
- Overhead mechanical hot air returns
- Photoelectric photo sensors for environmental monitoring
- Meets NFPA 75 requirements for data center fire protection and suppression
- Ecaro 25 plus dry fire suppression throughout the building
- Early warning smoke and leak detection system
- Direct connection to the US Signal 14,000 mile fiber backbone
- Multiple diverse pathways from several access provider central offices to the data center
- Redundant routers and switches with redundant up links
- Redundant backbone cabling and pathways
- Direct, dedicated network connections to major cloud providers without peering directly or collocating networking equipment in a provider-supported data center.
- Virtual Cloud Connect to establish layer 3 connectivity to hyperscale providers, including AWS, Azure, and Google.
- Cloud-to-Data Center (CDC) connection for dedicated Layer 2 access between collocated IT assets and US Signal public cloud resources when housed in the same US Signal data center.
- Replication and backup data paths available via layer 3 connectivity on the US Signal owned and operated backbone enabling data transfer of 5-10 ms.
- Close to the Grand Rapids airport, major highway traffic arteries, main rail lines, and navigable waterways.
- Outside 100-year flood plain as noted on FEMA flood hazard maps and more than 300 feet from the 50-year flood plain
- Built to International Building Code (IBC 2006) standards
- Meets TIA-942 fire resistance requirements for exterior bearing and non-bearing walls and interior bearing walls, structural fame, interior computer room partition walls, and shaft enclosures
- Concrete construction with walls thick enough to withstand vehicular impacts
- Windowless structure with doors meeting minimum fire rating code requirements
- Access floor panel construction (all steel, computer-grade)
- Parking area physically separated from loading docks
- Minimum 4 foot wide required exit corridors
- On-site security staffing Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. and 24/7/365 facility and systems monitoring.
- Building entrance with security checkpoints (Primary building entrance manned)
- Bullet-resistant security counter in lobby
- Security office
- Field device UPS capacity building + battery (8-hour minimum)
- All cabinets and cages include combination locks
- Biometric access control with iris scanners on all doors
- Advanced CCTV surveillance system monitors that records interior and exterior activity at 20 frames per second; monitored live by US Signal Technical Operations Center; records kept minimum 90 days
- Managed security services available including web application security, vulnerability management, and remote patch management services
Take a Look Inside
The Grand Rapids East facility is one of two data centers that US Signal has built from the ground up, fully designed for data center and colocation operations. Customers who have access can schedule meetings in its beautiful conference room.Download Floorplan
Compliance is Standard
Like all US Signal colocation facilities, the Grand Rapids Easts Center data center undergoes regular audits for compliance with:
- SSAE 18, SOC 1, Type 2
- SOC 2, Type 1
- FBI CJIS
- GDPR Privacy Shield
- International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
To learn more about compliance — including how to identify and work with PCI- and/or HIPAA-compliant cloud services providers, download Partnering for Compliance in the Cloud. Or, contact us to find out how US Signal’s well-governed, high-quality IT infrastructure can help your company meet many of its compliance requirements.