When Bigger Isn't Better: The Case for US Signal
Ask someone in the IT industry to name a cloud services provider (CSP). Chances are the answer will be Amazon Web Services (AWS), Rackspace, Microsoft Azure or Google. They’re the big names out there in large part because of longevity, business volume, and good public relations.
But, bigger isn’t always better. Depending on your business needs, a company like US Signal, which is geared toward serving mid-market companies, may be the better choice. The following helps explain why.
Big Box vs Specialized
Let’s say you’re in the market for new running shoes or a computer. You know what you want, including the basic specifications. Getting a great deal is a priority. The big box stores have just about anything you want right on their shelves — or it’s at least just a few key strokes and a credit card number away online.
That’s what big box retailers do; they offer great deals on off-the-shelf products. What they don’t offer is much in the way of customization or follow-up service. Few have sales staff with the knowledge or training to help you determine which model or option best meets your needs. They’ll help you try on a pair of shoes or recite the features of a particular computer. Beyond that, you’re on your own.
It’s your smaller, “specialized” retailers that are likely to offer the attention and expertise you need. They generally take the time to understand what it is you are looking for and how you are going to use it, and then provide recommendations. That pair of running shoes you want? The smaller, specialized retailer is going to assess your foot and how you run, and then hook you up with shoes that not only fit your feet but also are best suited to how and where you run.
Smaller retailers want your business, so they go the extra mile to earn it and keep it. With few exceptions, the same can be said about CSPs. It’s the smaller, specialized ones that are going to take the time to understand your needs and goals and work with you to make sure they are met. They’re also likely to provide better follow-up service.
For Your Consideration
If you know exactly what you want in terms of a cloud service and one of the big-name providers can deliver, go with it. But what if you don’t know what you need? Or, what if you think you know but don’t? We all know how busy in-house IT professionals are. Most have limited staff and tight budgets. Their days are jammed packed just keeping pace with day-to-day operations and maintenance. There isn’t a lot of time for researching alternate ways of doing things or the use of new technologies, much less to architect and test what may be better options.
That’s where a company like US Signal comes into play. While we can’t speak for other IT solution providers, we can tell you a few reasons why you should consider US Signal cloud services.
- Consultative approach. Tell the US Signal team what you need, and it can deliver. But the way US Signal likes to work — and what you can expect US Signal to do — is to take the time to understand your organization’s short- and long-term business goals, current IT strategy and other factors to propose the IT solutions best suited to your needs. US Signal also offers rightsizing recommendations to help optimize resource usage. In other words, you get what you really need from US Signal.
- Workload Factor. Non-critical workloads typically work just fine in the “swipe your credit card and go” kind of cloud service. The US Signal Cloud, however, is designed to run production-class workloads. That means it offers the uptime and high performance environment that can handle critical enterprise workloads, such as Oracle and SAP applications, as well as web, mobile and social applications, disaster recovery and industry-specific solutions.
- Flexibility. With US Signal’s cloud services, you choose the resources you need, and can dynamically allocate them when and where they are needed. And, if you need more than a cloud service, maybe something that also takes into consideration recent investments in on-premise hardware or legacy applications, US Signal can help you develop a hybrid IT strategy and provide the secure networking connections to move data safely between the various IT environments — including AWS’s.
- Compliance. US Signal undergoes rigorous independent audits each year to validate its compliance with HIPAA and PCI DSS. Doing so means US Signal employs industry-leading security and privacy controls and best practices that protect your data and applications, and can help your organization meet various compliance requirements. Not all the big name CSPs can say the same. Nor do all of them offer the resources of an in-house compliance officer — like US Signal has — to answer your questions, provide audit documentation, and more.
- Network Power. US Signal cloud solutions are always up, available, and secure. That’s because US Signal exclusively owns and operates its carrier-grade network, and can minimize network downtime and latency while ensuring reliability, speed, and security. Built on leading-edge Cisco® technologies and designed with redundant architecture for maximum network speed and security, the network is continuously monitored by US Signal’s Technical Operations Center (TOC) to help stop issues before they ever occur.
- 24/7/365 Service. “White glove service.” “Concierge service.” Whatever you call having technical experts available to help you, 24 hours a day, every day of the year — that’s what US Signal offers. If you encounter a problem or have a question, just call. US Signal’s Technical Operations Center (TOC) offers 24/7 support, with calls typically answered within 30 seconds by qualified technicians.
The Choice is Yours
The list goes on, but you get the idea. The big CSPs have a lot to offer, but so does US Signal.
So how do you make a decision? The Internet and trade publications are full of advice on the subject, and most of it is good. Just don’t be swayed by catchy taglines and promotional pricing. Do your research. Determine what your company really needs, and what the various CSPs can do to meet them. We think you’ll find that US Signal deserves to be at the top of the list of contenders for your business. To learn more, call 866.2.SIGNAL or email [email protected].